In order to make the most of life, there are certain things that you must know. And it’s more than the sciences and the arts. What you really must know is yourself.
It’s what we call Self-Knowledge.
- To be seen, you must make yourself visible.
- To be valuable, you must do something of value.
- To be important, you must do something important.
- To be remembered, you must do something memorable.
- To be wanted, you must create something that people want.
- To leave a living legacy for those you love, you must create one.
Even in the depths of our deepest sorrows and lowest times, there is opportunity to start anew. In fact, self-discovery in the face of conflict is something philosophers and leaders have explored for thousands of years.
For instance, the famed Chinese warrior Sun Tzu explained in The Art of War that when the strategy of warfare is used for peace, it is the perfect formula for success.
- Know your enemy and know yourself, and in a hundred battles you will never be defeated.
- If you are ignorant of the enemy but you do know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal.
- If you are ignorant of both your enemy and yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle.
Self-Knowledge can help you rise up after failures and face defeat. It is the first step toward becoming your personal best. And it is your responsibility to attain this knowledge and ability.