Unemployment, redundancy, loss of a business, large investment losses or other financial loss can have a negative impact on your mental health. In these circumstances, it is normal to experience a range of emotions and problems including: difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep.
What makes your mental health worse?
Bad sleep habits include getting too little sleep or inadequate sleep, drinking caffeine late in the day, engaging in stressful situations before bedtime, and using electronic devices before bedtime. When it comes to mental health, these habits and patterns of thinking can be your worst enemy.
What are 5 risk factors for mental disorders?
Common Risk Factors
- Family history of mental health problems.
- Complications during pregnancy or birth.
- Personal history of Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Chronic medical condition such as cancer or diabetes, especially hypothyroidism or other brain-related illness such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s.
- Use of alcohol or drugs.
What is affect mental health?
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
What are two risk factors for mental health issues?
Risk factors were childhood and lifetime abuse, chronic medical conditions, stress and unsupportive relationships, disturbed sleep and multiple births. Protective factors were social support and physical activity.
What are the 5 signs of mental illness?
- Feeling sad or down.
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate.
- Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt.
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows.
- Withdrawal from friends and activities.
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping.
8 июн. 2019 г.
Is overreacting a mental illness?
Overreacting is a symptom of bipolar disorder. 1 Hearing harsh words that would be painful to anyone, you may well respond with extreme anger or dark depression. Even a sad movie can make a person with bipolar disorder overreact.
Who is at higher risk of depression?
Age. Major depression is most likely to affect people between the ages of 45 and 65. “People in middle age are at the top of the bell curve for depression, but the people at each end of the curve, the very young and very old, may be at higher risk for severe depression,” says Walch.
What are the top 10 mental illnesses?
This page lists some of the more common mental health issues and mental illnesses.
- Anxiety disorders. …
- Behavioural and emotional disorders in children. …
- Bipolar affective disorder. …
- Depression. …
- Dissociation and dissociative disorders. …
- Eating disorders. …
- Obsessive compulsive disorder. …
How can I test my mental health?
Online Tests for Mental Health Self-Assessment
- Online ADHD Test. Find out if you are experiencing the most common symptoms of ADHD using our online test. …
- Online Depression Test. If you are unsure whether you are depressed take our Depression Test to help evaluate your recent mood. …
- Online PTSD Test. …
- Online Anorexia Test.
8 июн. 2015 г.
What is the root cause of mental illness?
Mental illness itself occurs from the interaction of multiple genes and other factors — such as stress, abuse, or a traumatic event — which can influence, or trigger, an illness in a person who has an inherited susceptibility to it.
How can I improve my mental and emotional health?
There are many ways to improve or maintain good emotional health.
- Be aware of your emotions and reactions. …
- Express your feelings in appropriate ways. …
- Think before you act. …
- Manage stress. …
- Strive for balance. …
- Take care of your physical health. …
- Connect with others. …
- Find purpose and meaning.
23 июн. 2020 г.
How can money affect your mental health?
Being in debt or dealing with the benefits system can cause ongoing feelings of stress. Worrying about money can lead to sleep problems. Money problems can affect your social life and relationships. You might feel lonely or isolated.
What are the six factors of mental health?
Six factors are considered key-elements of psychological well-being:
- Personal growth.
- Purpose in life.
- Environmental mastery.
- Positive relations with others.
What are symptoms of emotional distress?
Symptoms of emotional distress
- feeling overwhelmed, helpless, or hopeless.
- feeling guilty without a clear cause.
- spending a lot of time worrying.
- having difficulty thinking or remembering.
- sleeping too much or too little.
- having changes in appetite.
- relying more heavily on mood-altering substances, such as alcohol.
26 нояб. 2020 г.
What are the two primary ways we can treat mental illnesses?
Mental Health Treatments
- Psychotherapy. Psychotherapy is the therapeutic treatment of mental illness provided by a trained mental health professional. …
- Medication. Medication does not outright cure mental illness. …
- Hospitalization. …
- Support Group. …
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine. …
- Self Help Plan. …
- Peer Support.