“I wanted to be a mental health first aider because I believe mental health should be given the same level of attention as physical health. It’s important to understand mental health and know how to talk about it. There are lots of myths and outdated stereotypes – it’s a complex topic and unique to everyone.
Why should I be a mental health first aider?
The idea of the mental health first aider course is to teach people how to spot signs of mental ill health, listen non-judgementally, provide mental health first aid to someone in crisis, and have the confidence to guide someone towards the right professional support.
What is mental health first aid and why is it so important?
Mental Health First Aid provides information and resources you can offer to someone to provide emotional support and practical help. There are many professionals who can offer help when someone is in crisis or may be experiencing the signs and symptoms of a mental illness or addiction.
Why should I become a first aider?
First Aid Training teaches delegates how to become safety conscious in their occupation. Your employees will be able to spot hazards in the workplace before accidents happen. The more First Aiders you have, the quicker employees will raise issues. Employees must recognise potential danger before it happens.
What skills do you need to be a mental health first aider?
Become a Mental Health First Aider
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing.
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues.
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress.
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening.
What should a mental health first aider not do?
Mental health first aiders are not trained therapists or counsellors, and cannot give a clinical diagnosis as to what mental health issue a person is suffering from. They should not be seen as a replacement for proper treatment of mental health issues.
What is a mental health champion?
A Mental Health Champion is any employee who takes action to raise awareness of mental health problems amongst staff, challenges mental health stigma, and provides peer support to colleagues.
What are the 5 signs of mental illness?
The five main warning signs of mental illness are as follows:
- Excessive paranoia, worry, or anxiety.
- Long-lasting sadness or irritability.
- Extreme changes in moods.
- Social withdrawal.
- Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping pattern.
14 окт. 2020 г.
What are the 3 C’s when dealing with an emergency?
There are three basic C’s to remember—check, call, and care. When it comes to first aid, there are three P’s to remember—preserve life, prevent deterioration, and promote recovery.
What does a mental health crisis look like?
Warning Signs of a Mental Health Crisis
Inability to perform daily tasks, bathing, getting dressed, etc. Rapid mood swings. Increased agitation, risk-taking/out of control behavior. Abusive behavior to self or someone else.
What are the 3 primary duties of a first aider?
What to do
- Assess the situation quickly and calmly. Safety: check whether you or the casualty are in any danger. …
- Protect yourself and them from any danger. …
- Prevent infection between you and them. …
- Comfort and reassure. …
- Assess the casualty and give first aid treatment. …
- Arrange for help if needed.
What are the qualities of a good first aider?
The following are the qualities, which a trained first-aider, should possess:
- Prompt and Quick: …
- Calm and Controlled: …
- Wise and Intelligent: …
- Resourceful: …
- Sweet Tempered and Sympathetic: …
- Skilful and Tactful: …
- Dextrous and Clever: …
- Confidence and Perseverance:
Are first aiders legally obliged to help?
While there is no law in New South Wales that demands a first aider render assistance in an emergency situation in the community setting, once a first aider provides first aid they do have a duty of care.
How much does mental health training cost?
For organizations certifying an instructor, the cost to attend the 5-day instructor training is $2,000 per person, inclusive of the 5 days of instruction, breakfast and lunch for the week, all teaching materials for the program, and ongoing support after certification.
Is mental health first aid free?
The California Department of Education (CDE) continues to offer Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA) Trainings to your school, district, and county staff at no cost. YMHFA Training is primarily designed for adults who regularly interact with young people.
What are the 7 types of mental disorders?
- Anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and phobias.
- Depression, bipolar disorder, and other mood disorders.
- Eating disorders.
- Personality disorders.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Psychotic disorders, including schizophrenia.